Monday, July 17, 2006

Glad to be home!!!!!

Oh where to start? This weekend was emotionally draining and with the scorching heat physically draining.
I am so proud of Buddy, but I wish he didn't have to endure this weekend. He had a life lesson no ten year old should have to endure.
Him and his racing buddies were playing football Saturday morning at the racetrack, like they do almost every race weekend. Well, I guess he had suggested playing two hand touch( because he knows I don't like them playing tackle), but some of the other boys said that was for wimps and they decided to play tackle. Well, his best buddy D was going out for a pass and another kid went to tackle him, the other kid hit him just so and D fell to the ground face first. At first Buddy thought everything was okay, but when D didn't move he knew something was wrong. He ran over to him and kept saying his name, but there was no response. He knelt by him and slowly and carefully rolled him over( His face was on the ground), while saying his name. When he was rolled over and still not responding Buddy saw D's eyes roll to the back of his head and his body was twitching. Buddy knew this wasn't good, so he ran to his other buddies ( J) racing trailer to get his dad and another adult and then he came running and yelling for my DH, who is an EMT, and D's parents. When DH got there he was not expecting such a serious injury, he thought he fell and broke a bone or something, but when he got there D was still not responsive and he thought he was going to have to perform CPR. He yelled for someone to call 911, which they did. And shortly after D came around but was very combative. He had lost his sight, but by the time the ambulance got there, he had regained it. He spent the night in the hospital with a severe concussion. He returned to the track late yesterday afternoon and we were all relieved to see he was going to be okay. He won't be able to race for a few weeks, but that is a minor inconvenience compared with how the situation could have turned out. Picasso also witnessed everything and said he was going to get help too, but he saw Buddy going already.
After Buddy saw D okay yesterday afternoon, he went to our camper and slept for a couple of hours, out of pure exhaustion and relief. This experience was one that will stay with him for the rest of his life. D's sisters kept calling Buddy a Hero, which made him feel real good, but he just did what he knew was the right thing to do. The rest of the kids playing all scattered because they thought they were going to get into trouble.
Just glad D will be okay and that everything worked out, and now I am glad to be home!


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home