Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I can not forget....

Maybe it is because Buddy keeps asking to go see the movie WORLD TRADE CENTER, maybe it is because of the terror plot foiled in London, maybe because so many of us bloggers are signing up to pay tribute to the victims of that fateful day, or maybe it is because it will be five years soon. Whatever the reason, I just can't forget. I can not forget the shock I felt. Was this really happening? I was over an hour away from home setting up a Mary Kay display table at one of the college campuses in the state.

I will never foget the students coming out of the student lounge saying a plane had crashed into the world trade center. And then minutes later coming back and saying a second plane had hit the other tower. That is when panic set in. This can't be an accident, I thought to myself. I immediately went into the lounge to catch the news. That is when it really hit. Seeing the thick black smoke pouring out of the buildings.

I will never forget my husband calling me on my cell phone asking me to come home and informing me of the pentagon and that they thought there were more hijacked planes in the air. I quickly packed my stuff and left for home.

I will never forget the eerie ride home, it seemed like there was no one on the road. When I passed a military base, I realized things were definately not normal. They had big trucks blocking the entrances.

I will never forget getting home and waiting for Buddy to get off the school bus and giving him the biggest hug I could without squishing him.

I will never forget the eerie silence that befell our neighborhood for days. The eerie plane free sky.

I will never forget dropping to my knees and sobbing uncontrollably in my kitchen. Sobbing for those helpless people who could not get out of the buildings, sobbing for the ones who felt their only escape was to jump, sobbing because I did not know wether any of my cousins who live in Long Island and work in Manhatten, had died, sobbing for the firefighters and rescuers who went into those buildings and never came out, and sobbing because I knew my world would never be the same.

I am sharing these thoughts, because I will never forget. If you would like to post what you were doing September 11, 2001 and what you will never forget please enter your information to your post below.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember I was driving to work, I didn't even comprehend it until I got to work and they had drug a television from a resident (I worked leasing apts at the time)

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home